The Yenagoa General Hospital, established in 1957 during the colonial era, was converted into a specialist hospital in 1996, after the creation of Bayelsa State. On 9th September, 1999 the same hospital was taken over by the Federal Ministry of Health and re-named Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa. In 2014, the Otuoke Cottage Hospital established under the auspices of the MDGs was taken over by the Federal Ministry of Health following a Presidential Mandate and handed over to become Federal Medical Centre Yenagoa Outreach Hospital in Ogbia L.G.A. Today, the hospital is best described as Federal Medical Centre, Bayelsa State. Dr. (now Prof.) Kobina Keme-Ebi Imananagha, Chief Consultant Physician/Neurologist, a former head of the Department of Medicine, University of Calabar and a pioneer Honourable Commissioner for Health, Bayelsa State, was appointed in 1999 as the pioneer Medical Director of the young hospital. A year later, the Federal Government of Nigeria appointed a 10-member Board of Management to run the affairs of the hospital, under the able leadership of HRM, Late King (Dr.) H. S. Eseimokumoh, a retired Chief Consultant Surgeon who was then the paramount ruler of Tarakiri Kingdom of Bayelsa State.